Hot Sub Sandwich
I love a hot sub sandwich from Subway and recently found this version to make at home. It's from Better Homes and Garden's budget-friendly meals Cookbook. The description says check your refrigerator and create your own combinations - so the possibilities are "almost endless". And it only has four ingredients, so it's really quick and easy - probably faster than going out for fast food!
Start to finish: 30 minutes
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 16-ounce loaf brown-and-serve French or Italian bread
- 6 ounces sliced American, cheddar, and/or Swiss cheese
- 12 ounces thinly sliced deli turkey, ham, roast beef, or chicken
- Ranch salad dressing or other creamy salad dressing
1. Bake the bread according to package directions. Cool slightly.
2. Using a long serrated knife, cut the baked loaf of bread in half horizontally. Arrange the cheese on the bottom half of the bread. Arrange the deli meat over the cheese.
3. Place the top half of the bread on the loaf. Return to oven; bake about 5 minutes more or until the cheese melts. Cool sandwich slightly.
4. Slices sandwich. Serve warm. Pass the salad dressing to use as a dipping sauce or to drizzle over the meat.
Per Serving: 433 cal., 16 g fat (7 g sat. fat), 52 mg chol., 1,648mg sodium, 46 g carbo., 2 g fiber, 29 g pro.
(Better Homes and Gardens budget-friendly meals; p. 153)
So there you have it. A simple recipe alternative for those days when you want a hot sub sandwich, but don't want to go to a restaurant to buy one. Plus you have enough to go around. And if when you're shopping, you buy a variety of ingredients, everyone can make their favorite sandwich.
You can go a little further and add a few fresh veggies - shredded lettuce or spinach, sliced tomatoes, green peppers, onions, olives, or mild banana peppers, and whatever else you like on your sandwiches. Or serve it with a fresh salad on the side. This is one of the most perfect meals in my opinion. How about you?
Go from Hot Sub Sandwich back to Submarine Sandwiches
Recipe Index|About Us|Contact Us|Survey
Go to the Sandwiches Again? Blog
Go to the Home Page